Elizabeth Hemsley was born in Nottingham, but was living in West Bridgford when she died in 1901. Her three sons were all in the lace trade. Samuel Arthur in London and William Sydney in Nottingham were both lace manufacturers. Their elder brother, Charles, still lived in West Bridgford and was a manager in the lace trade. When Elizabeth died, the three brothers installed a window – the first in the restored church – in their mother’s memory. The dedication at the foot of the glass reads “To the glory of God and in memory of Elizabeth Hemsley. Erected by her three sons. AD 1901.”
The window was by Heaton, Butler & Bayne.1 The window was described in the parish magazine as having “beautiful tone and atmosphere”.2 In three lights, it portrays Faith, Hope and Charity.
1.Church Guide from 1950s
2. St Giles Parish Magazine February 1908